We’re here to help in these complex cases
If you were in an accident involving Lyft or Uber, whether you were the driver, rider, or in a vehicle hit by a Lyft or Uber driver, we can help you. At Huber Thomas & Marcelle, our Lyft and Uber accident lawyers know that time is of the essence after a rideshare accident. Here's what you need to know to protect yourself from the start.
Are rideshare accidents common?
Rideshare companies are now a part of everyday life.
While rideshare options have added convenience to our lives, they present new challenges.
There are a few statistics that examine the exact safety rates of rideshare drivers compared to normal drivers or taxis. What we do know is that rideshare programs lead to more miles on the road. And, this can lead to more accidents.
University of Chicago researchers found that new ridesharing services in a city were associated:
"with an increase of approximately 3% in the number of motor vehicle fatalities and fatal accidents. This increase is not only for vehicle occupants but also pedestrians."
What happens if a Lyft or Uber accident occurs?
Rideshare accidents are a new and complex area of the law. At Huber Thomas & Marcelle, our attorneys have worked these cases from the beginning. We bring our advanced knowledge of personal injury law to these matters to help our clients heal emotionally, physically, and financially.
A Lyft or Uber accident can occur when you are:
- A rideshare passenger;
- A driver for a rideshare company; or
- Another driver, passenger, pedestrian, or cyclist who gets hit by a rideshare driver
No matter how you're involved, if an accident occurs, you must do a few things immediately:
- Call the police: Do this first. They'll file a police report that fully details the accident. This will be a vital document if you do make a claim for damages.
- Look for an official Lyft or Uber sticker on the vehicles involved: Even if the driver did not have a passenger with Lyft or Uber in his/ her car at the time, the driver still may have been on the app and this is important information to discover.
- Get medical help: You may feel fine, but shock can disguise some injuries. Also, symptoms of conditions like whiplash may take up to 48 hours to appear.
- Report the accident to the rideshare company: Your driver may ask you not to, but this is necessary when filing for insurance claims. Report accidents directly in the Lyft or in the Uber app. Other services have accident reporting typically built into their apps.
- Contact our Lyft and Uber accident attorneys: By working with an attorney who is skilled at these types of cases, you can take the necessary steps from the beginning to protect yourself and receive a fair settlement.
What is Lyft and Uber’s accident policy?
While rideshare drivers provide their own insurance. Companies like Lyft and Uber provide additional automobile insurance to cover claims when the driver is working for Uber or Lyft.
This is complicated, though. Lyft and Uber will try and argue that these drivers are not their employees, but rather contractors and thus they are not separately liable for their driver’s negligence beyond the available automobile insurance. You should hire an attorney immediately to fight for you in these types of cases.
Further complicating things, insurance policies determine claim amounts based on what step of the process the driver was in. The driver may have been:
- Waiting for a fare and not in "driver mode";
- Matched with a fare and driving to meet them; or
- Actively driving a passenger in their car
- When waiting for a fare and not in "driver mode": $50,000 maximum limit per person / $100,000 maximum limit per accident / $25,000 maximum limit for property damage
- When matched with or actively driving a passenger: $1,000,000 per accident limit
What can I expect for a Lyft or Uber accident settlement?
If you've suffered from a Lyft or Uber accident, you don't have to face your case alone.
At Huber Thomas & Marcelle, we know these accidents can have life-changing effects for you and your family. It may impact your ability to work. Injuries can lead to ongoing medical costs.
We work hard to obtain the fairest Lyft and Uber accident settlements based on all factors. We're your advocates when it comes to dealing with insurance companies. We help you navigate insurance claims, hospital bills, and more. At every step, we clearly explain what's going on, so you always have the information you need about your case when you need it.
Our team at Huber Thomas & Marcelle has helped bring numerous cases to trial, with millions awarded to our clients.
Don't hesitate to give us a call for a free and confidential consultation about your case.