Car accidents are overwhelming and exhausting. In the minutes and hours after a crash, you’re probably shaken up and grateful to be alive. However, injuries and property damage quickly become daunting issues. From mounting bills to calls from the insurance company, there is a lot to juggle.
To make matters more difficult, anything you say may be used against you. This is why it’s essential to have the best car accident attorney New Orleans has to offer.
Read on for details regarding the when, why, and how of choosing a lawyer to represent you after a Louisiana car accident.
What Is the Role of A Car Accident Lawyer?
Lawyers spend years learning the intricate details of different types of law. For a car accident attorney in New Orleans, that means an extensive focus on Louisiana driving regulations. Plus, any nuanced variables that have an effect on New Orleans specifically.
Here are a few ways a car accident lawyer in New Orleans may assist you after an accident:
- Informing – Because the average person doesn’t regularly encounter legal jargon, they usually aren’t familiar with their unique rights. A lawyer can help you understand the driving laws in New Orleans, explaining whether you were or were not at fault.
- Advising – Competing interests can quickly complicate the details surrounding an accident. The other party, witnesses, and insurance companies will all likely have different opinions on what happened. It’s important to sort through the differing opinions with an expert. A well-versed car accident attorney in New Orleans will properly advise you.
- Negotiating – Very few cases go to court, which means negotiation is an important part of the process of securing compensation. A reputable car accident attorney can handle these meetings with the other party, as well as their lawyers and insurance company. This gives you the opportunity to focus on your recovery.
- Litigating – In the rare case that an agreement can’t be reached through negotiations, you need an attorney to represent you in court. A lawyer who has walked with you throughout the entire process from day one will have the knowledge to bring forth a strong case. This may help secure the compensation you need for medical bills, damages, lost wages, and much more.
3 Signs You Need a Car Accident Attorney
Navigating the complexities of the legal system can be difficult, especially when you’re trying to recover from an accident. The good news is, a New Orleans car accident lawyer can be incredibly helpful in these situations.
Here are three instances that definitely require legal representation after a car accident:
- You were injured in the accident
- Your passenger(s) were injured in the accident
- There’s significant and costly property damage
When these factors are at play in a car accident, there will be higher claims. This goes for both medical costs and vehicle repairs or replacement. Compensation to cover these expenses is crucial. An attorney’s job is to look at all of the factors to ensure your settlement covers all of these costs, allowing you to get back to your life.
Alternatively, if you were in a minor accident, but feel overwhelmed by the claims process, you should also contact an attorney. There are times when insurance companies and other parties do not cooperate or act fairly. When you feel in over your head, it’s important to ask for help.
What To Look For In A Car Accident Lawyer
Finding a car accident attorney in New Orleans is easy when you know what to look for. Likewise, most attorneys will provide free consultations. This allows you to have a few meetings and make a choice based on who made you feel the most comfortable.
It’s also important to note that most attorneys will take your case on contingency. That means you won’t pay anything upfront unless the attorney helps you win your case or reaches a fair settlement.
Here are important characteristics to look for in a New Orleans car accident lawyer.
Organization and availability are crucial when it comes to running a law practice. The attorney you work with should have lines of communication open at all times. Look for a law firm that has a team of legal assistants who are available to provide updates on your case when you need them the most. Likewise, you should be able to schedule a meeting within a reasonable amount of time if you need a face-to-face update.
Although education is important, nothing can compare to experience. Your team should have many years of work experience in the area of automobile accidents. This allows for a unique perspective and familiarity with traffic laws that are at play after a Louisiana car accident. It’s also important to hire an attorney with extensive courtroom experience in the event that your case requires litigation.
It’s important to know the prospects of your case before things get underway. Your New Orleans car accident lawyer should be open and honest about the following:
- What type of evidence it will take to build a strong case
- How much compensation you should seek
- Whether it appears you have any fault in the accident
Your attorney should be upfront about your case from day one. This will allow for the best possible settlement.
The best compliment is a glowing reference. Search for a legal team that has great online reviews on websites like Avvo and Google, as well as positive testimonials.
When you read through reviews or talk with references, previous clients should note that the attorneys were honest and helpful. As previously mentioned, you also want to look for lawyers who are known for being present and ready to answer their client’s questions with minimal follow-up time.
Huber Thomas Law: Your Partner After a Louisiana Car Accident
After an accident, you need the best car accident attorney New Orleans has to offer. Here at Huber Thomas Law, we provide legal assistance that is approachable. Our goal is to help make sense of the jargon and walk you through every step of the process. Here is what sets us apart from the competition and makes us the best team in town.
Our process and approach
The collaborative team at Huber Thomas Law has recovered millions of dollars in settlements for our clients. Our unique approach allows us to build cases that result in fair and equitable outcomes.
Although you will have a specific attorney assigned to your case, you will benefit from an entire team of lawyers. By joining together with multiple unique viewpoints and skillsets, our entire team contributes to the end goal. This helps us take your case to the next level.
Further, we have a reputable portfolio of crash experts. These individuals help us recreate scenes, while also shedding light on the unique elements of a crash. This is particularly important in the event that your case goes to court.
As previously mentioned, the majority of cases involving car accidents settle outside of court. In fact, 95% of them reach a conclusion through negotiations. Court battles are expensive and time-consuming, which is why it’s never the preferred route.
That said, we are committed to securing fair settlements for our clients, no matter what it takes. We prepare for every case as if it will go before a judge or jury to ensure maximum power at the negotiating table.
For a quick view of our success in the courtroom, consider the following case victories:
- $3 million jury verdict for a woman who was injured when an airport shuttle van moved while she was boarding
- $1.6 million jury verdict for a client who had to have back surgery after a Jefferson Parish, Louisiana car accident
Our attorneys have litigated hundreds of cases arising from automobile accidents and secured millions of dollars on behalf of our clients. We have taken numerous cases to trial, and based on our depth of experience, we are always ready to pursue litigation to protect our clients
Call Huber Thomas Law Today
If you are caught up in the aftermath of a car accident, legal representation may help you secure the settlement you deserve.
At Huber Thomas Law, we offer a free and confidential consultation in order to assess your case. We represent clients in Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi, and other states across the country.
Schedule a meeting today to find out more about how our team can help you.